924 N. Charles St., (443) 447-7878, facebook.com/TheElephantBaltimore
The Brass Elephant was an institution for years here in Baltimore, so when news came that it was being bought and redone, we were a bit skeptical. But after multiple visits to the new version, now dubbed The Elephant, we can report that new owners Steve Rivelis and Linda Brown Rivelis were able to pull off the difficult feat of spiffing up a classic while making it their own. The original Tiffany glass windows, crystal chandeliers, and long marble bar up on the third floor remain, but there’s a brand new bar added to the first floor that you swear was there all along (made from repurposed wood and pieces from the original space). The old teak archways weren’t touched, but the walls were painted a soft pink and swank modern lounges added upstairs. But the coolest things were the nameplates that act as wallpaper in one of the rooms, made of original pressed tin customer ID slips from its time as Potthast Furniture from the 1930’s through the 1970’s.