North Calvert and East Fayette streets
Battle Monument was erected to honor Baltimore’s 39 fallen in the War of 1812, with friezes dedicated to both the Battle of North Point and the Battle of Baltimore. It was paid for by the citizens of the city, no one donating more than $5 to this monument of the people, by the people. Where it was erected had more to do with city planning than city history. The idea was to place the monument at the far north edge of the city to mark the limit of its northern growth in a time when Mount Vernon was a land of suburban estates. Well, we see how well that plan worked out as Baltimore has grown out in all directions, and Battle Monument barely marks the northern edge of downtown.