Local dream-pop duo Beach House will drop its fifth album on Aug. 28, the band announced today. Titled "Depression Cherry," the record is billed as a return to form that "fully ignor[es] the commercial context in which we exist," according to a statement from Victoria Legrand and Alex Scally.
It reads in full: "In general, this record shows a return to simplicity, with songs structured around a melody and a few instruments, with live drums playing a far lesser role. With the growing success of 'Teen Dream' and 'Bloom,' the larger stages and bigger rooms naturally drove us towards a louder, more aggressive place; a place farther from our natural tendencies. Here, we continue to let ourselves evolve while fully ignoring the commercial context in which we exist."
In addition to quotes from authors Banana Yoshimoto, Peter Coveney and Roger Highfield, and Arthur Schopenhauer and singer Van Morrison relating themes of the record, Beach House says the title "is a color, a place, a feeling, an energy . . . that describes the place you arrive as you move through the endlessly varied trips of existence . . ."
Beach House will kick off an international tour supporting the record, which comes in a totally badass red velvet sleeve, on Aug. 13. As of this writing, there are no shows scheduled for Baltimore.
Here's a tracklist with lyrical excerpts selected by the band:
1. 'Levitation' – "The branches of the trees, they will hang lower now, you will grow too quick, then you will get over it"
2. 'Sparks' - "It's a gift, taken from the lips, you live again"
3. 'Space Song' - "What makes this fragile world go ‘round, were you ever lost, was she ever found?"
4. 'Beyond Love' - "They take the simple things inside you and put nightmares in your hands"
5. '10:37' - "Here she comes, all parts of everything, stars in the motherhand"
6. 'PPP' - "Did you see it coming, it happened so fast, the timing was perfect, water on glass . . ."
7. 'Wildflower' - "What's left you make something of it"
8. 'Bluebird' - "I would not ever try to capture you"
9. 'Days of Candy' - "I know it comes too soon, the universe is riding off with you . . . I want to know you there, the universe is riding off with you."