Murders this Week: 5; Murders this Year: 140

A man was added to the murder tally a week late after police withheld from the public the news that he had died after being beaten and stabbed downtown. A child was added a month after his death when his grandmother was charged with poisoning him with methadone. A police officer charged with shooting his fiancée to death in a domestic dispute apparently killed himself in jail. There were also nine non-fatal shootings reported as the city's violence continues.

Friday, July 5

A 20-month-old African-American boy left in the care of his grandmother died after the grandmother, Towanda Reaves, rubbed methadone on his and another grandchild's gums-apparently to quiet a teething problem. The boy, whose name was not released, was brought to the hospital on July 5, already dead. The second child, an 18-month-old girl, was hospitalized later that same day with methadone poisoning but was expected to survive. Reaves, a 50-year-old African-American woman, was arrested on Aug. 1 and charged with second-degree homicide after admitting to administering the drug.

Friday, July 26

8:52 p.m. Jerod Gilmore, a 22-year-old African-American man, was beaten and stabbed several times by multiple attackers at the corner of North Calvert and East Baltimore streets, a block south of the circuit court buildings. Police found him lying in a pool of blood, and he was pronounced dead at Shock Trauma about 30 minutes later, The Sun reported. The Sun says police told reporters on Friday night that Gilmore was in "serious condition" and did not disclose his death until Monday, when they arrested Darian Hyman, a 20-year-old African-American man, of the 500 block of Benninghaus Road; Randolph McLean, a 19-year-old African-American man, of the 5600 block of Govane Avenue; Royal Quinn, an 18-year-old African American man, of the 5300 block of Gwynn Oak Avenue; and Ronald Carroll, a 16-year-old African-American boy, of the 3000 block of Wayne Avenue. All are charged with first-degree murder. Police spokespeople did not answer emails asking why the information was withheld.

Thursday, Aug. 1

11:02 p.m. Police were called to the 6400 block of Harford Road for reports of gunfire. There they found Dwayne Powell, a 22-year-old African-American man, on the ground, shot several times. Powell, who lived two blocks away on the 6500 block of Glenoak Avenue, was taken to a hospital and pronounced dead at 11:32 p.m.

Friday, Aug. 2

4:01 a.m. Five hours later and 2 miles away, police were called to the 1600 block of Hartsdale Road for reports of gunfire. There they found an African-American man on the ground, shot several times. The man, whose name had not been released at press time, was taken to a hospital and pronounced dead at 4:09 a.m.

Saturday, Aug. 3

4:31 p.m. Police were called to the 2300 block of North Rosedale Street for reports of a shooting. There they found Scott Thompson, a 47-year-old African-American man, on the ground, shot several times in the body. Thompson was taken to a hospital, where he died several hours later.


James Walton Smith, a 49-year-old African-American man and former police officer, was pronounced dead on Aug. 5 of an apparent suicide. He had been detained without bail in protective custody in Maryland Reception, Diagnostic and Classification Center at 550 E. Madison St. after shooting his fiancée, Kendra Diggs, in the head and holding fellow officers at bay in a May 7 standoff on the 1100 block of North Parrish Street.

Copyright © 2019, Baltimore City Paper, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Privacy Policy