Murders this Week: 5; Murders this Year: 6

Murders this Week: 5 Murders this Year: 6 Friday, Jan. 11

8:13 P.M. After seven days without a homicide, Devon Shields, a 26-year-old African-American man, was found lying in the street near the intersection of Patapsco Avenue and 5th Street in Brooklyn. He had been shot in the chest and died at a city hospital at 8:29 P.M.

11:30 P.M. Three hours later, Delroy Davis, a 20-year-old African-American man, was discovered lying face up between two houses in the 2300 block of West Lanvale Street. He had been shot several times in the chest and died at a local hospital less than a half-hour later.

11:47 P.M. Seventeen minutes after Davis was shot, an as-yet unidentified male was stabbed in his left arm and the left side of his body in the 5400 block of York Road. He died at 12:25 A.M. This is the second murder in the Homeland neighborhood since this column began collecting data in 2004.

Saturday, Jan. 12

2 A.M. Shortly after that man died, police were called to the scene of a double shooting in the 200 block of North Franklintown Road. There they found a black car parked on the right side of the road with both front doors open. There were bullet holes in the windshield and the side of the car. Tavone Pierson, a 29-year-old African-American man, was in the front passenger seat, slumped over. He had been shot repeatedly. A 26-year-old African-American man walked up during the investigation and told police that he too had been shot during the incident. Both men were taken to a hospital. The 26-year-old survived; Pierson died. A witness saw a "money-green" colored Honda Accord pull up next to the car Pierson was in. Someone inside fired numerous times at the black car and then drove away.

Sunday, Jan. 13

5:55 A.M. A triple shooting left one person dead in the 2100 block of West North Avenue a few blocks from Coppin State University. Sean Rhodes, a 25-year-old African-American man was found unresponsive, lying face down in a pool of blood. He had been shot numerous times and died at a local hospital. A 30-year African-American man and a 19-year-old African-American female were also shot several times but survived. According to The Baltimore Sun, the shooting happened outside an after-hours club in the block called the Ras-a-Ter International Restaurant and Club.


The murder of Johnny Smith, a 74-year-old African-American man, was accidentally left out of the Oct. 3, 2012 Murder Ink column. Smith's murder was, however, counted in all the statistics for that year. We regret the error. Smith's death was added to the Baltimore City homicide rolls on Sept. 25, 2012. Smith was hit in the head with a brick on May 13, 1997 in the 2500 block of East Preston Street. As a result of the assault, Smith had a stroke and was bedridden for the rest of his life. On July 5, 2012, Smith was found dead at his home in the 2100 block of Cliftwood Avenue. His death was ruled a result of the assault fifteen years earlier.

The murder of Amber Brown, a 24-year-old Caucasian female, has been closed by expception. Brown was found dead from an overdose in the 3100 block of Hamilton Avenue on April 18. At press time, police were unable to say why it was closed in this fashion but confirmed that it had not been reclassified and is still a homicide.

According to police, the murder case of Edmond Dabney has been closed by exception. Dabney, a 64-year-old African-American man, was shot in the head during a robbery in the 4600 block of Pimlico Avenue on June 3. Police list Andre Ross, a 44-year-old African-American man, as the suspect but say that State's Attorney's Office has decided not to charge the case. As of press time, the State's Attorney's Office had not responded to a request for a comment on the case.

Dion Brandon's murder case is open, not closed as previously reported. On March 9, 2005, Brandon, an African-American man who was 23 at the time, and two other people were shot in the 900 block of Belgian Avenue. Brandon died seven years later on March 7, 2012 and his death was ruled a result of complications from the shooting. An arrest was made at the time of the initial shooting but the charges were later dropped. According to police, the State's Attorney's Office ruled that there was no definitive closure in the case.

Brandon McMillian, a 25-year-old African-Americanman, was arrested on Aug. 11 for the murder of Adam Robinson, a 26-year-old African-American man. Robinson was shot repeatedly inside his home in the 4100 block of Idaho Avenue on March 25.

Raymond Kelly, a 21-year-old African-American man, was arrested on July 21 for the double shooting that left Darryl Thomas, a 32-year-old African-American man, dead. Thomas and a 33-year-old African-American man, were shot in the 4300 block of 6th Street in Brooklyn on July 17. The 33-year-old survived.

Derick Tallie, an 18-year-old African-American male, was arrested on Nov. 4 for a double homicide. On March 5, John Edwards Jr., a 17-year-old African-American male, and Steven Fields, a 19-year-old African-American male, were both shot in the head behind Mary E. Rodman Elementary School in the 3500 block of West Mulberry Street. Tallie was 17 at the time.

Mark O'Neil, a 19-year-old African-American male, was arrested on Jan. 10 for the murder of Lee Lumpkin, a 35-year-old African-American man. Lumpkin died on July 6 after being shot in the hip in the 1000 block of Leadenhall Street on June 22. O'Neill was charged with murder and attempted armed robbery in the case.

Three people were arrested for the murder of Jermaine Blue, a 30-year-old African-American man. Zebary Pearson, a 27-year-old African-American man, and Edward Ellis, a 24-year-old African-American man, were arrested on Jan. 3. Antoine Dorsey, a 22-year-old African-American man, was arrested six days later. Blue was shot repeatedly in the 1400 block of Poplar Grove Street on July 28.

The murder case of Sterling Parker, a 61-year-old African-American man, has been closed by arrest. Parker was assaulted in his home in the 1900 block of Walbrook Avenue on Aug. 4. He died as aresult of his injuries on Aug. 20. According to police, Claude Grimes, a 35-year-old African-American man, and Chanelle Yates, a 21-year-old African-American woman were served with warrants charging them with third degree burglary and second degree assault on Aug. 21, 2012. There is no record of this in the Maryland Judiciary Case Search. A 31-year-old Claude Grimes was arrested on Sept. 8 for an Aug. 4th murder. Yates was arrested for burglary and conspiracy to commit assault on the same day for Aug. 4 incident.

Charlie Stevenson, a 22-year-old African-American man, was sentenced to life in prison plus 23 years on Jan. 4, 2013 for the murders of Maurice White , a 22-year-old African-American man, and Wayne White, a 24-year-old African-American man. Wayne and his girlfriend were in the parking lot outside their apartment building on July 15, 2007 arguing. Bagada Dionas, a then-21-year-old African-American male who along with Stevenson sold drugs in the parking lot, came up to them an told them to go inside. Wayne's girlfriend drove off and Wayne called Maurice , a 22-year-old African-American man who was not related to Wayne but was his best friend, and Sean White, Maurice's brother, to come and get him. Shortly after the White brothers arrived, Wayne's girlfriend drove back up with Wayne's 8-month-old son in the car. Dionas and Stevenson entered the parking lot and started shooting at Wayne, Maurice and Sean. Dionas was armed with an AK-47. Stevenson had a semi-automatic handgun. Dionas shot Maurice in the head. Sean jumped into Wayne's girlfriend's car. Wayne also tried to jump into the car but failed. He tried to run after the car but was shot in the ankle. Stevenson chased Wayne, who was limping, firing the whole time. Wayne collapsed and begged Stevenson to stop shooting at the car because his son was inside. Stevenson, who had just turned 17 at the time, refused. He then stood over Wayne and shot him repeatedly in the head. The child, Wayne's girlfriend, and Sean were uninjured. Dionas was convicted of murder for his role in the incident on Aug. 7, 2009 and sentenced to life in prison plus 170 years.

Copyright © 2019, Baltimore City Paper, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Privacy Policy