Murders this Week: 3; Murders this Year: 128

Tuesday, Aug. 7

11:36 P.M. Anthony Cureton, a 28-year-old African-American man, and a 29-year-old African-American man were in the 2700 block of Giles Road, in Cherry Hill, when someone fired at them from a car. Cureton was shot in the head and died at an area hospital two hours later. The 29-year-old was shot in the hip and was able to get himself to a hospital. He survived.

Friday, Aug. 10

3:57 A.M. A second double shooting claimed a life. Police were called to the Empire House, an inn at 9 E. Chase St. near the Belvedere Hotel, for a shooting. Larry Peterson, a 56-year-old Caucasian man and the owner of Empire House, was found on the steps of the inn, shot several times. He was taken to a local hospital and survived. Joseph Ulrich, a 40-year-old Caucasian man who went by Alex, was located inside, shot numerous times. Ulrich was taken to a city hospital, where he died around 11 A.M. Police are looking for an African-American male of average height and medium build, who was wearing dark clothing and a dark hat, and a short, heavyset African-American female, who was wearing dark clothing and a skull cap, in connection with the shooting.

Sunday, Aug. 12

5:03 A.M. Victor Asbell, a 42-year-old African-American man, died at an area hospital a week after he was beaten. Asbell was attacked with a stick at a gas station in the 3300 block of Garrison Boulevard on Aug. 5, at 8:44 P.M. Keonta Johnson, a 20-year-old African-American man, was arrested on Aug. 12 and charged with assault, attempted murder, and related charges.

Updates: Tyrell Brogden, a 26-year-old African-American man, and James Pitts, a 23-year-old African-American man, were arrested on July 31 and Aug. 7, respectively, for the murder of Charles Johnson, a 50-year-old African-American man. Johnson was beaten to death on July 30 in the 1800 block of West North Avenue. According to charging documents, a video camera captured Brogden and Pitts being stopped by police at the corner of North and Fulton avenues at 2:50 A.M. for allegedly being loud and disorderly. They were interviewed by police and allowed to leave. Forty minutes later they were caught on camera following Johnson back into the block, where they allegedly beat him to death.

Davon Martin, a 24-year-old African-American man, was arrested on Aug. 9 for the murder of Dwight Taylor, a 25-year-old African-American man. Taylor was inside the Focal Point Babershop in the 200 block of West Saratoga Street downtown on April 9, 2011, waiting to get his haircut when he was shot several times.

Copyright © 2019, Baltimore City Paper, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Privacy Policy