Murders this Week: 4; Murders this Year: 51

The man shot inside a car in the 1400 block of Holbrook Street on April 8 has been identified as Justin Marasa, a 22-year-old African-American.

A death resulting from a 1997 shooting was added to the homicide rolls this week. On April 14, 1997, Leslie Johnson, an African-American man who was 21 at the time, was shot in the back and hand in the 800 block of Jack Street in Brooklyn. He died almost 15 years later, at age 36, on Jan. 30, 2012. The medical examiner ruled his death the result of complications from the shooting. Alexander David Thomas, an African-American man who was 19 at the time of the shooting, was arrested on Feb. 1, 1998 and charged with attempted first-degree murder. He was sentenced to life on April 19, 1999.

Friday, April 13

8:20 p.m. Brandon Simms, a 23-year-old African-American man, was in the 400 block of Watty Court in the McCulloh Homes public-housing complex eating crabs with some friends. Someone walked up and opened fire on Simms, who was shot several times in the head. No one else was hit. Simms died at 1:45 a.m. on April 14 at a nearby hospital. This is the second murder at McCulloh Homes in a month. Tyrice Forney, a 21-year-old African-American man, was shot and killed in the 400 block of Oxford Court on March 4. McCulloh Homes is just a few blocks from Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, near the State Center Metro stop.

Saturday, April 14

11:15 a.m. Clarence Nicholson, a 31-year-old African-American man, was shot repeatedly in the 2000 block of Rayner Court in Midtown-Edmondson. He died at a local hospital at 1:06 p.m.

8:20 p.m. That night, Phillip Scott, a 34-year-old African-American man, was sitting on some steps with a female friend in the 1800 block of Etting Street. The estranged husband of the woman allegedly rode up to them on a bicycle, got off the bike, and starting assaulting the woman. Scott tried to leave but the man allegedly shot him several times and then started shooting at the woman as she ran into a house. She was not hit. After her husband left, the woman came back out of the house, found Scott shot, and flagged down police. Scott died at a city hospital less than an hour later. As of press time, no arrest had been made in this case. This is the second murder in the Central police district this week.

Copyright © 2019, Baltimore City Paper, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Privacy Policy