Murders this Week: 3; Murders this Year: 16

Monday, Feb. 6

4:56 p.m. In the late afternoon, Gregory Kearney, an African-American man who would have turned 29 on Valentine’s Day, was chased to the intersection of East Preston and Ensor streets near Green Mount Cemetery by someone with a handgun. The person with the gun shot Kearney several times and fled. Kearney fell to the pavement. A large crowd gathered around him. Kearney died at an area hospital at 5:24 p.m.

Thursday, Feb. 9

10:45 a.m. Johnny McFadden, a 62-year-old African-American man, was found in a grassy area in the 2900 block of Haverford Road, a dead-end street in the residential neighborhood of Windsor Hills. He had been shot in the head and was dead. This is the ninth murder between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. this year. More than half of 2012’s homicides have occurred during this time period.

Sunday, Feb. 12

2:30 a.m. Kyndal Staten, a 27-year-old African-American man, got into an argument with some people in the 5900 block of Laclede Road by the city line in Northeast Baltimore. A short time later, he was shot. He died at a local hospital at 3:28 a.m.


On Feb. 3, Joseph Butler, a 20-year-old African-American man, and Marcus Lennon, a 22-year-old African-American man, were arrested and charged with the murder of Shayvon Booker, a 19-year-old African-American man. Booker was shot in the head in the 200 block of South Loudon Avenue on Jan. 29.

According to The Baltimore Sun, Terrance Sims, a 31-year-old African-American man, was sentenced to 10 years in prison on Feb. 9. Sims was charged with second-degree murder and related charges for killing Ronald Gibbs, a 17-year-old African-American male. On March 6, 2011, Sims and Gibbs became involved in an argument with two women. During the dispute, Sims stabbed Gibbs. Sims was convicted for manslaughter on Jan. 17. The Sun also reported that Gibbs was “a nationally ranked boxer with Olympic aspirations,” and that this was Sims’ second homicide conviction. He was also found guilty of manslaughter for a murder that occurred precisely 10 years before Gibbs was killed on March 6, 2001.

Copyright © 2019, Baltimore City Paper, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Privacy Policy