The News Hole

Officer Edward Nero acquitted on all charges

Accused Baltimore City Police Officer Edward Nero was acquitted of charges all charges relating to the April 2015 death of Freddie Gray. Baltimore City Circuit Court Judge Barry Williams announced his verdict Monday morning, reading from a written statement.

Nero faced charges of second-degree assault, reckless endangerment, and misconduct in office.

Read more
Officer Miller takes the stand in Nero trial

Baltimore Circuit Court Judge Barry G. Williams heard from Garrett Miller, another officer accused in the death of Freddie Gray, in the case against Officer Edward Nero on Monday. 

Before questioning Miller on Monday, Chief Deputy State's Attorney Michael Schatzow told him that no information he gave could be used against him in his own trial, set for late July.

Read more
Baltimore's strong mayor remains stronger than the City Council

The City Council failed to override Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake's veto of two bills calling for charter amendments that would allow the City Council to increase the city's budget and revamp the Board of Estimates, which controls city spending. 

"This is an opportunity for the people to vote its opinion, and the council says no," City Council President Bernard C.

Read more
City Paper wins eight MDDC Press Association awards

City Paper took home eight prizes at the MDDC Press Association's awards lunch this afternoon, including the Best Of Show award in the category of Continuing Coverage for the staff's stories on the death of Freddie Gray and the protests and trials that followed.

Read more
Officer training questioned in second trial of police charged in Freddie Gray's death

Edward Nero, one of six police officers charged in the death of Freddie Gray, opted for a bench trial that got off to a swift start.

Read more
(Updated) HUD cuts city's homeless grant by a fifth

UPDATED (see below)

Baltimore city's private, non-profit homeless service providers were shocked earlier this week when more than 18 percent of their federal cash support was cut. 

The Federal Department of Housing and Urban Development announced the cuts on May 2 in a chirpy press release titled, "HUD AWARDS $355 MILLION FOR LOCAL HOMELESS PROGRAMS."

Read more
Loading
88°